Lessons & Scheduling
- Lessons are given on a weekly basis in 30, 45, or 60-minute intervals. It is recommended that students attend lessons at a consistent day and time. The teacher will accommodate those with irregular schedules to the best of her ability.
- The studio will be closed for several recesses throughout the school year coinciding with the major holidays in the Saratoga Springs School District calendar. Dates for all recesses are posted on the Studio Calendar each September. Please be advised that dates for the studio recesses may vary from those in the school district calendar.
- Students will receive appointment reminders via e-mail 24 hours prior to their lesson time, and a text reminder two hours beforehand. Please notify the teacher as soon as possible if you are unable to attend your lesson.
Enrollment & Payment
- New students must submit the Free Trial Lesson Registration form prior to their first meeting with the teacher. Returning students should contact the teacher directly to discuss their plans for re-enrollment.
- All students are expected to attend lessons on a weekly basis. The teacher will not accept part-time students.
- The teacher reserves the right to raise tuition fees at the beginning of each new school year. Please see the Tuition page for pricing and rates.
- Invoices will be sent via email at the end of each month. Advance payment for lessons is not required. Electronic invoices contain a “pay now” button for fast and convenient checkout. Please be advised that online payments include a 3% surcharge to cover merchant processing fees. The studio also accepts check or cash. Payment is expected in a timely manner upon receipt of your invoice, however there are no penalties for late payments.
School Year Plan
- Tuition is calculated at a discounted rate based on the student receiving a minimum of thirty-five lessons over the course of the school year. After the first thirty-five lessons, the student will continue to receive lessons at his or her regularly scheduled time until the end of the school year pro bono. This means students with a perfect attendance record may receive up to two free bonus lessons at the end of the school year. For this reason, the teacher is not obligated to make-up lessons for any reason. Students may request a make-up lesson if desired, but the teacher cannot guarantee availability.
- If the student withdraws or is terminated before fulfilling their commitment to the school year, the student must reconcile payment with the teacher in one of the following ways; by continuing to make payments until school year tuition has been paid in full, or by paying the difference owed as per the weekly rate. The teacher is not obligated to refund unused tuition.
- The deadline to select this plan is October 1, 2018. As a courtesy, you may postpone your first payment until this date. This will give you time to experience lessons before deciding to commit to the school year. Once you select a plan, you will be billed for the lessons accordingly.
- The weekly plan offers maximum flexibility for students who have unpredictable schedules or who may not want to commit to lessons long-term. The student is charged per number of lessons received and may withdraw at any time without penalty.
- The student may pay for multiple lessons in advance if desired; however, in the event of a withdrawal or termination, the teacher is not obligated to refund unused tuition.
- All students must own or have regular access to a full size, 88-key instrument. An acoustic piano is strongly recommended. If no piano is available, a weighted (hammer-action) keyboard with sustain pedal is acceptable.
- A piano bench is highly recommended, although a flat-bottomed chair without arms may also be used. Swivel chairs or other rolling chairs are not suitable for practice.
- The instrument should be placed outside the vicinity of distractions such as televisions or computers. If you are unsure whether or not your instrument is adequate for practicing, please contact the teacher.
- The student is expected to come to lessons having adequately practiced and prepared all assignments. If unprepared, the student is nevertheless obligated to attend the lesson.
- Students are expected to work from their own personal copy of any books, scores, or materials required for study. A three-ring binder is recommended for keeping practice sheets, music, and other handouts.
- Parents are expected to assist their children in practicing at home. As such, family members are encouraged to observe lessons as often as possible. Depending on the age and maturity level of the child, the teacher may request that a responsible party remain present during the child’s lessons.
- Parents are expected to help their children follow the instructions on their practice sheets and complete their Tonic Tutor games, or any other assignments, on a weekly basis. For more information on the practice expectations for children, please see the Getting Started guide.
- The teacher pays a monthly subscription fee for her students to access educational games on the Tonic Tutor website. This amount of this fee is determined by the number of students using the site; therefore, students who fail to complete their Tonic Tutor games for four consecutive weeks, (excluding studio recesses), will have their accounts deleted and may be assigned written theory homework as a replacement. Students who have lost their Tonic Tutor privileges will have the opportunity to activate a new account the following school year, however all previously earned achievement badges and virtual stickers will have been erased.
- The studio is not only a place of business, but also a family home. As such, students are expected to conduct themselves in a manner appropriate to this setting. Crude or disrespectful behavior toward the teacher, her family, her property, or that of her surrounding neighbors will not be tolerated.
- The teacher and her family request that parents prevent their children from wandering into the private, “family-only” areas of the house. Unless granted express permission by the teacher, visitors are to stay within the bounds of the foyer, studio space, and adjoining restroom.
- If your child struggles to make it to the restroom in time, is unable to leave the toilet as clean as they found it, or just has a penchant for peeing outside, then he or she is not yet a suitable candidate for the studio. These behaviors will not be tolerated under any circumstances. Transgressors will have their invitation to the studio revoked until the following year. Please accompany your children to the restroom as necessary and ensure any other young guests in attendance are also aware of these expectations.
- If you suspect your child may be sick, please contact me to reschedule. You may be putting my students and their families, as well as myself and my own family at risk. The studio has visitors of all ages, from infants to the elderly, so please err on the side of caution when deciding to whether or not to attend.
Privacy & Admin
- On occasion, the teacher may take pictures or video of you or your child during lessons for educational or promotional purposes. The teacher will ask permission from the student and responsible parties before sharing such items on her website or Facebook page. Content which features a student under 18 years of age will refer to the student by first name only.
- If you have any questions or concerns regarding your progress or the policies of this studio, you are encouraged to call, e-mail, or schedule an appointment with the teacher.